January 1, 2014

I am a Nigerian Misfit

I am a Nigerian Misfit.

In the midst of my Funke Akindele's 'Jẹnifa' impersonations and the constant tug-of-war with my own cultural nuances, I have always realized that I have been an odd ball in comparison to the vast majority of Nigerians. Sometimes, I think I am socially backwards whenever I am conversing with my fellow Nigerians. I purposely dodge speaking Yoruba with adults because they ridicule my pronounciation and say I speak it like English. I have tried so much to tailor my life with Nigerian-isms, and I have come to the realization that it's not by force.

In all honesty, there isn't an ideal Nigerian. We are a collective number of people who have assimilated throughout history. Not only do Nigerians immerse themselves in other cultures, but have established a voice in North America, South America, Asia, Europe, and Australia. Although it is easy to love the cultural enrichment of Nigeria, it is also easy to be annoyed by the grandiosity of some of its people. They know themselves.

I am a representation of the labor of my heroes past, born in the home of the brave. I am a Nigerian Misfit. I am horrible when it comes to cooking efo riro, and I am allergic to apon/ogbono. I am a Nigerian Misfit. I don't understand the need for a 'headtie' because it can be itchy, so no thanks, I am good. I am a Nigerian Misfit. I watch Yoruba movies and have a journal of words with their English meanings. I am a Nigerian Misfit. Multiple Saturdays have past, approximately 52 as of last year, and I am not married yet. I am a Nigerian Misfit and I am proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment